MATERIALS AND HEAT TREATMENT
INTRODUCTION AND OBJECTIVES
The aim of this course is to provide students some kinds of materials in engineering, some analyzing methods for selecting suitable materials in mechanical design, some organic relations between material structures and properties, some heat treatments for changing the mechanical – physical properties.
Materials and heat treatment” provides some knowledges as follow:
- Crytal structures
- Bond and defects of crytal structures
- Phase structures and phase changes through phase diagrams
- Mechanical and physical properties
- Diffusion and failure mechanicsm
- Basic of sciences in material treatment to obtain required properties
CONTENT AND METHOD
Able to use basic science and engineering to analyze organic relation between properties and structures.
- Use the right material for the job.
- Understand the relation between properties, structure, and processing
- Recognize new design opportunities offered by materials selection
- Understand that new materials can be tailored to specific design requirements
Abole to analyze microstructure of crystals. Able to analyze changing process of materials under extra forces or heat.
- Determine the structure and atom bonding.
- Classify typical crystal structures such as body centered cubic, face centered cubic, hexagonal cubic.
- Determine dislocation such as point, line and surface defects.
- Understand the stress – strain diagram.
- Distinguish different processes in the stress – strain diagram such as elastic, plastic and failure.
Able to analyze the existence of different phases and understand the transformation of phases and solidification process.
- Classify different phases .
- Analyze the properties of phase diagram of the two elements.
- Analyze phases, characteristics of Fe-C diagram.
- Understand the thermo-dynamic process in phase transmission.
- Understand the way of crystallization.
- Analyze the types of transmission in Fe-C alloys.
Classify heat treatment methods
- Understand the phase diagram of the specific materials
- Classify the temper
- Determine the processes in hardening and tempering
Determine the suitable steels or cast iron in design
- Distinguish the different properties of construction steels, tool steel, part steels
- Distinguish basic difference between steels and cast iron
Determine nonferrous alloys and composite for design
- Distinguish copper, aluminum and titanium alloys
- Distinguish some kinds of composite, polymer and ceramic
Improve teamwork, communication and presentation skills
- Identify the importance of teamwork
- Identify the growth stages of a team
- Improve communication and presentation skills
- Improve teamwork skills
- Identify the importane of English in engineering
- Expand English vocabulary and terminology terms of thermodynamics
TEXTBOOKS AND REFERENCE
Sách, giáo trình chính
1. W. D. Callister, Jr John Wiley, Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction, 2018.
2. Đặng Vũ Ngoạn, Vật liệu kỹ thuật, NXB ĐHQG TP.HCM, 2012.
Sách tham khảo
1. Dương Tử Tiên, Huỳnh Văn Vũ, Vật liệu kỹ thuật, NXB Hà Nội, 2016
2. Nguyễn Đình Phổ, Vật liệu học, NXB Đại học quốc gia Tp. HCM, 2016.
3. Nguyễn Khắc Xương, Vật liệu kỹ thuật, NXB Bách Khoa Hà Nội, 2016
4. Sharma, Surender Kumar, Handbook of Materials Characterization, New York, Springer Science+Business Media, 2018
- Morning 8:30 – 11:30 (break 15 mins)
- Afternoon 13:30 – 16:30 (break 15 mins)
Lecturers from the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, Vietnam National University